Hi! This is my blog about writing and self-publishing. I've written three novels and am working on a fourth.
Got something to say? Email me on email@example.com.
New? Start Here!
Buy Firebrand now!
The Maker’s Mask
Buy The Maker’s Mask: Book One Of Requite now!
The Hawkwood War
Buy The Hawkwood War: Book Two Of Requite now!
Read an excerpt from Firebrand, my steampunk fantasy romance inspired by Charlotte Bronte's juvenilia.
Read an excerpt from The Maker's Mask, the first part of my Requite Duology, a science fiction adventure.
Read an excerpt from The Hawkwood War, the second part of my Requite Duology, a science fiction adventure.
Go here for out-takes and Requite short stories, free to read online.
- @eternalmagpie Yay! 11 hours ago
- @legionseagle @ros_clarke @white_hart I liked the first couple but found the later ones progressively more sugary. 21 hours ago
- @lrbudd @aellairene Yes, you should. Also handsome young men tied up under the stairs. 21 hours ago
- RT @pmh: Registration for the free @ITMegaMeet has been extended until Friday. Please retweet. bristol.itmegameet.co.uk/#a_pmh1wheel 21 hours ago
- @crinolinerobot Poor baby. Glad she's doing better this morning. 23 hours ago
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- all about me amazon annoying things book review books christmas covers deleted scenes firebrand fonts giveaways google heavy ice i get searches kay lulu non-book news other people and their books reviews rss and other woes short stories someone is right on the internet spam stories about books the hawkwood war the maker's mask the writing process Uncategorized word 2010 and its little ways wordpress
Category Archives: the writing process
As the first draft of Heavy Ice lumbers towards completion, there are things I begin to realise. One of them is that I could write flowery declarations of love when I was fourteen; but now I am forty-one (or at … Continue reading
I have somehow managed so far to put in no physical description at all of one of the major characters of Heavy Ice, because every time he’s around we’re deep in his personal viewpoint and he’s got things on his … Continue reading
(or, ‘Help, Help, My Family Tree Is Full Of Hawkwoods’) So, the new book is taking place in 650 S.F., which is two hundred and eighteen years after the last two. It’s also 4911 by the calendar the rest of … Continue reading
Writing a sex scene from a man’s point of view. I don’t think I’ve done this since I was about fourteen. It’s very weird. I keep second-guessing myself: it’s all very well writing confidently about the details of riding across … Continue reading
Firebrand is go! I was hoping to hold off the official launch until it had made it to Amazon in paperback, but the wheels of Amazon are grinding slowly, so for the time being if you want a paperback you … Continue reading
So, Firebrand is off with Team Beta and out of my headspace for the time being. Heavy Ice is still mired in the mud of ‘Why didn’t I realise two years ago that this needed a lot more worldbuilding and … Continue reading
About half-way through the first round of edits on Firebrand, and then the Beta Crew can take delivery of it and I’ll kick it out of my head until it comes back red-pencilled. As is usual at this stage, I’m … Continue reading
So, the process of planing and sandpapering Firebrand into shape is ongoing, and it’s making me think about how much easier writing was when I had no clue at all what I was doing. I mean, when I started out … Continue reading